Coopers Dark Ale minus Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pataka

Reaction score
I've made several small batches based around Coopers' Real Ale, and each time I do I head closer and closer to a dextrose-free batch. In fact, my most recent batch (which is fermenting as I write) was effectively a two-can brew (using the leftover extract and as much water as needed to bring the desired gravity) with no dextrose/brew enhancer. I've also made a Mangrove Jacks Dark Best Bitter (it's more of an amber, but it's still very nice) and a Mangrove Jacks Pale Ale. I figured for my next brew I wanted to have a shot at making something darker, so was thinking of Coopers Dark Ale.

Being a Coopers kit, the recipe will no doubt recommend adding 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2 (Maltodextrin, DME and Dextrose) but I'm keen not to. I'm looking for suggestions of what to do instead in order to boost the gravity. The options I thought of were:

1) Doubling the strength of the wort
2) Adding Light DME
3) Something else???

Has anyone here played around with Dark Ale kits recommending Dextrose? What have you tried successfully?

Back