Cooper's Dark Ale in Dry Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I brewed my 3rd batch this weekend. I went with Papazian's Toad Spit Stout. This was my first time brewing from a recipe. My first 2 batches were Brewer's Best kits. I picked up the ingredients Friday morning. Instead of buying hopped dark LME, I grabbed a can of Cooper's Dark Ale. When I got home, I realized this wasn't the hopped dark LME I needed. I ended up stopping at another store later that night and got the right thing.

Are the Cooper's kits equivalent to hopped LME?

As for the hopped LME, what's the scoop on this stuff? What would you do if there is no hopped LME? How would you make up for the missing hops?

Is there a real difference between LME and DME or does it come down to personal preference?

All canned extract kits are essentially hopped liquid malt extract.

If I recall, LME is about 80% equivalent to DME by volume.

Hope this helps.

All canned extract kits are essentially hopped liquid malt extract.

How so? This is only true if the can contains hopped LME. If it contains unhopped LME, then it isn't hopped LME.

The fact that it comes in a can has nothing to do with whether it is hopped or not.

How so? This is only true if the can contains hopped LME. If it contains unhopped LME, then it isn't hopped LME.

The fact that it comes in a can has nothing to do with whether it is hopped or not.

Right. Cans of unhopped LME are cans of unhopped LME. But canned "kits", ie from Coopers, Mountmellick, Morgans, etc, are hopped LME.

Back