Cooper's Carb Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWavs

Reaction score
I have made some odd size batches the last few months which lead to using carb drops and seem to have issues with my cider carbing up. Most of my cider sat for about 6 weeks fermenting....1 racking prior to bottling. I am wondering if maybe my problem was a lack of yeast still in suspension? I used Nottingham ale.

Thoughts?

the reason I ask, is the rate of carbonation is directly related to the number of yeast in the solution. Carbing up cider that is still clouded with yeast can take a matter of hours. carbing up a clear cider can take a month or more. The trade off is time for less sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Are the bottles at room temperature? Too cold and the yeast will be dormant.

Is it less than 10% ABV? High ABV could kill the yeast.

My ciders take almost a month to get perfectly carbonated in the bottle. Unfortunately, they are almost gone by the time they get perfectly carbonated. If it's in a bottle...it's a target for drive by drinking.

Back