Cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazzabrew

Reaction score
hey guys,

I do not have a wort cooling system and was wondering if I could add blocks of ice directly into the wort instead putting the whole fermentor into an ice bath (which i normally do)?

Cheers thanks :mug:

even if you freeze and then sanitize plastic bottles of ice, you still have minor sanitation concerns. Are you referring to fermentation control or wort chilling post boil?

I built my own immersion chiller for a little under $25. not hard at all, but I also toss the kettle I an ice bath. ;D

even if you freeze and then sanitize plastic bottles of ice, you still have minor sanitation concerns. Are you referring to fermentation control or wort chilling post boil?

I built my own immersion chiller for a little under $25. not hard at all, but I also toss the kettle I an ice bath. ;D

I am referring to chilling post boil. I was thinking of icing the water in sanitized stainless steel pots and covering them with plastic wrap while i freezer to keep any germs from contaminating the water whilst it is freezing, then adding the ice straight into the wort post boil to chill it as fast as possible before i pitch the yeast.

Back