cooling wort too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I was just curious if you could cool down your wort too fast. Evert thing that I have read says to try and cool it as fast as possible. Or if there was a target amount of time you should shoot for?

nope just cool down as fast as possible especially the danger zone of 160–120 °F this also causes cold break so you dont have chill haze

okay cause i did a combo of putting the pot in a sink full of ice water and used my wort chiller and cooled it down under 80degrees in just a few minutes!:rockin:

I've never heard of any risk to cooling too fast. As you know these folks takes pride in fast cooling. Some claim 10 minutes or so.

What will you be using? Have you got liquid nitrogen on hand?;)
My guess is that as long as you don't create localized freezing there is no risk.
Even then I'm not certain there would be a problem.

I will wait here with you for the experts.

Regards

I am just using a plain old copper immersible chiller that I made myself for like 20 bucks and a sink of ice water. got my 3 gallon boil down to 75 degrees in less than 10 minutes! Put the pot in the ice water and also runn the chiller.

I guess the only sliver to a downside of cooling too fast is that some of the cheaper pots will warp over time if you give them a fast temp change. Definitely not a concern, though.

Back