Cooling the sugar water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aLL done

Reaction score
OK, just bottled my double IPA lastnight. Everything went smooth, except I didn't cool the sugar water down before I mixed it into the bottling bucket. I was going through some threads today and found out that was a no no. I started racking from carboy to bottling bucket, then dumped the sugar water over the beer. I tripled pitched it with yeast when I brewed it(if that information is helpful). DID I KILL MY YEAST?!?!?! If so, I will be extremely sad, for I brewed this beer to take to Rothbury Music Festival over July 4th weekend.

It won't affect the yeast, the beer cooled it down right quick, plenty of yeast left in the rest of the beer to compensate for the first 1 cup of wort that may have gotten too hot.

The reason to not pour boiling sugar water into your (plastic) bucket is self explanatory, if your bucket did not melt, you did not hurt anything most likely.

I like to let mine cool some, but yeah, a pint of hot water mixed with 40+ pints of cool beer...yeast is fine.

Everything will be fine, have a homebrew. Been a while since I bottled from a bucket but I would recommend gently pitching it in once you have 1/8 or so racked, the racking will help spread out the sugar to get even distribution in your bottles.

Back