Cooling from 35*C without a fridge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
The summer where I live has an average temp of around 35*C (generally between 30 and 40*C), I would buy an old fridge but I'm planning to move to South America in 4 months so its just not worth it.

I managed to find a small children's paddling pool (60cm diameter) and last month tried a swamp cooling method. I filled it up quite a bit with water, wrapped the fermenter in a wet tshirt and put about 2 liters of ice (the max my freezer can make) in the kiddie pool every 12 hours but it still didnt cool it down enough, i guess it cooled it at first but by the time the 2nd icing came around the temp was already back up to around 25. Is there anything else I can do? Or a more efficient method of cooling with my very limited equipment?

I was thinking to put the whole pool and fermenter inside a few bin bags and tight them around the neck to keep the cold in... would that work? This would probably stop any evaporation cooling though if the water couldnt escape...

any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Can you get any 2-liter plastic soda bottles? If you freeze water in several of them and then continually rotate them between the freezer and the pool water, that would help.

Whats what I was doing, thing is its soo hot that the cold is gone from the pool/ice bottles too fast, i was doing 3 times a day but every time i go to change the bottle the fermentation temp was around 25 :(

I need a way to keep them cold longer, but also not too cold at the same time. if I put more bottles than this the temp can drop too much, im kinda stuck for ideas :(

Latest posts

Back