Cooling coil for Speidel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruint

Sipping on the big cup of life!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know if anyone has attempted to install a cooling coil into the Speidel fermentors or not...Is it feasible:confused:I Have not found any threads concerning this. I do see where people will put them into a ferm chamber, but I do not have the space available to make one large enough to fit both my 60L and 120L fermentors. I don't have the cash flow to be able to buy a freezer to fit them either....so I think the next best option for me would be to install ss 1/2" tube coil through the lid. It's the locking strap style, so it should accommodate a 8" diameter coil mounted vertically, instead of horizontally like the ss fermentors favor. Is there a reason you could not mount them vertically? The other problem I have is finding where I could get a coil like the one described, with lead ins long enough to put the coil at least 4" to 5" from the bottom of the fermentor. Any thoughts, suggestions, or help would be appreciated...

Nice pics...does your system work well? That's what I kind of envisioned but thought that mounting it like that would be a pita!!! What about the ease of cleaning?

I'm just finishing it up. I have done a leak check but not fermented in it yet. I hope to take the maiden voyage in another week or so.

Please keep me posted. I might still get a coil to mount on/through the lid. Pulling it out I think will be easier for cleaning the coil. Have you thought about putting insulation on it?

I thought about going through the lid, but I was concerned about making removing the lid cumbersome. If I run into issues with this design I will most likely get another Speidel and go with the through the lid design.

The Speidel just fits on my Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer. I have a rotating spray ball that I'm going to put on the Mark II, and then I'm going to let it go to town. If that won't do it, I'll disassemble and clean.

I haven't really given much thought to insulation. I'm not planning on insulating at this point. Plastic is less conductive than SS and glass anyway, right?

Absolutely!!! I have been searching the threads here constantly for ideas and up until a few days ago...had not been successful in finding what I was looking for. Thanks to all of you, for the links, and pics, and the thread link!!! Outeffinstanding!!! I'll post pictures when I complete the project.

@gtslate...where might one acquire a spray ball that would work with the mark 2?? That's awesome...I might like to try that myself!!! I question whether or not if that pump has enough ooomph to it to get it to work good though...

@gtslate...where might one acquire a spray ball that would work with the mark 2?? That's awesome...I might like to try that myself!!! I question whether or not if that pump has enough ooomph to it to get it to work good though...

NEW 0.5 Inch Stainless Rotary Spray Ball Female CIP Tank Cleaning Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0152FG7UE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The 1/2 inch size will thread right onto the Mark II, but it will NOT fit into a standard carboy mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
What in your cooler below and how are you cooling it?

I'm going to start with the submersible pump from my Mark II Keg and Carboy washer with ice water, replacing the ice water as needed. In the future I may upgrade to an aquarium chiller like in the thread that moonbrewer posted.

@gtslate how did you pass the ends of the coil thru the side, i.e., what fittings did you use?

Latest posts

Back