Cooler size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build my MT soon and wondering what size I should make sure and get?
I do 5 gallon batches. And I plan on doing some big beers so around what size do I need for the big beers to handle extra grain? Some bigger beers I may just use extract to boos it but want enough space in the MT to.
I noticed the link with th 50qt at shopko, would that be a good size to be able to do some Higher ABV beers? What are your guys sizes or coolers?
I dont plan on going to 10 gl batches but you never know. If I would it would be way down the road so I wouldn't mind building another for that if this one would be to small

Get the 50qt, you will never have to worry about not having enough room.

Yah, get a 10 gal setup, EVERYONE regrets getting 5 gallon coolers.

whats the minimum size cooler for a 10 gallon system?
I would like to keep it space saving
Or minimum for 5 gallon but allowing to do big beers?

I don't know if it is nationwide or just local, but Home Depot had 10 gal. coolers for $26 and change this past weekend where I live. I picked one up and plan on getting a false bottom "soon".

Many threads on this but:
A 5gal cooler works for most 5 gal batches but can be constraining and makes big beers difficult.
A 10gal cooler should be all you would ever need for a 5gal batch.
A 10gal cooler will work fine for 10gal batches but have the same limits as a 5/5 combination. A 48-50qt (12-12.5gal) should be good for all but the biggest 10gal batches. My only concern with a rectangle 50qt is that the grain bed will be very shallow with a 5gal session beer. A smaller footprint like the 10gal round or the cubes are a better idea.
I will probably get a 10gal round at some point (currently a 5gal round) as I like the foot print better than the cubes.
Craig

CBBaron said:
A 5gal cooler works for most 5 gal batches but can be constraining and makes big beers difficult.
A 10gal cooler will work fine for 10gal batches but have the same limits as a 5/5 combination. A 48-50qt (12-12.5gal) should be good for all but the biggest 10gal batches. My only concern with a rectangle 50qt is that the grain bed will be very shallow with a 5gal session beer. A smaller footprint like the 10gal round or the cubes are a better idea.
I will probably get a 10gal round at some point (currently a 5gal round) as I like the foot print better than the cubes.
Craig

thanks man

CBBaron said:
Craig

I would not agree with the above statement, I have the 50qt Igloo and when I do my 5 gallon batches of 1.05 beer my grain bed is 5" thick which is plenty.

Brew-boy said:
I would not agree with the above statement, I have the 50qt Igloo and when I do my 5 gallon batches of 1.05 beer my grain bed is 5" thick which is plenty.
What is the inner dimensions of your cooler and how much grain are you using? It is good to know that the 50qt coolers work for 5gal batches as they are usually easier to find than the round coolers.
Craig

Grain bed thickness isn't a consideration if you batch sparge. I have a 48-quart Ice Cube with a bazooka and making a small beer is no big deal.

With a 48-50 quart cooler, you would only have to fly sparge your biggest 10 gallon beers.

Back