cooler size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting closer and closer to going AG. I now have the 30qt pot and propane burner and a 16 qt pot. For my lauter tun will a 5 gallon cooler do the trick or do I need a 10 gallon one(just trying to keep price to a minimum). I only plan to be doing 5 gallon batches, but do want some of them to be stronger ABV.

Thanks and if you notice I need anything else(other than a mill) say so,
Daum

If you are sold on the cylindrical coolers, I would buy the 10 gallon. I have a 36 qt X-treme for 5 gallon batches, and a 70 qt for 10 gallon batches, and I wouldn't want them any smaller.

If you want to do high gravity 5 gal batches, you can't use a 5 gal cooler. Max capacity in the mash is about 13 lbs of grain, or roughly 1.065 gravity.

Go for a 10 gal one. You really won't regret spending the bit of extra money.

Go for the 10gal cooler for sure. I thought I would only be doing five gallon batches as well. But the only thing better than 5 gallons of beer is 10

Gotta go with the 10 gal. You want room to grow and it will be cheaper in the long run if you don't have to buy another cooler. Check out Flyguy's post in DIY section. Easy, cheap, and efficient. I can only speak on the cylindrical cooler, though. ($39 at HD and worth every penny) I like it because I can fit a false bottom (~$20 @B3) that has a precise fit and uniform holes. I used the braid for a time with great results...I just got the false bottom because I was beating up the braid with my stirring the mash. I really like the big size "ice cube" too. Easier to store than a long rectangular cooler.

Back