Cooler or Keggle MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
If price were no object, what is the preferred vessel for mashing? I know coolers hold the temp better, but you'd have the benefit of applying heat to a keggle if the temp does drop. What is the consensus among experienced all grain homebrewers?

i have used a cooler for years. this weekend, i'm going to finish up the grinding and soldering for my keg mash tun

I started with a cooler then switched to a direct fired tun, each have there pros and cons but if I were to start from scratch knowing what I know now I`d skip the cooler altogether.

I'm working towards direct fire on the stove top, with a separate mash and lauter tun--all metal.

Just finished my Blickmann false bottom mod for the lauter tun, a 3\8 in copper hoop standoff using copper tabs and lead free solder, with a 3/8 in copper tube bent up and over and down to a ball valve for siphoning.

The mash tun fits in the oven for the long rest, direct heat on stove top for the steps. I have a 5, 7.5, and 9 gal stainless steel pots for sparge, mash/boil, and lauter respectively.

I'm still waiting on CozyDayz for the 9 gal stock pot, great price ($80 shipped), but slow service (ordered on Nov. 5, scheduled to arrive Nov, 29....)

Back