Cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
Hey - looking to make a MLT in the upcoming weeks on a budget and have a few questions.

1. I don't see myself doing 10 gallon batches anytime soon, but just in case I want to make a MLT that I could use in the future. I found a 60 quart square cooler for a good price. My only concern is that the grain bed would be really shallow spread out this far. Is this legitimate or would I be ok?

2. I see so many Rubbermaid conversions, but has anyone used Igloo? Again I may have found a pretty good deal but don't want a useless cooler! It seems to me like the 10 gallon upright Igloo may have a bit more of a recessed valve, but I don't see this as being too much of a problem.

Thanks for the help!:D

I use a 72 quart square Igloo marine cooler for my 5 gallon batches and have no problems with size or heat loss. I like the bigger cooler because some day a may get a itch to do a 10 gallon batch.

i use igloo although they're round 5gal coolers. if you look in my galery you can see them. they're cheap to make and work like a charm

A shallow grain bed is bad for fly sparging, but doesn;t make any difference for batch sparging.

The grains cannot read, and don't care if the label says Igloo or Rubbermaid.

-a.

Most coolers, no matetr the brand have a 3/8" spigot hole, all you need is a valve, some brass fittings, and a braided supply line. I had a problem with the 5/8" washers(they were too big) so I needed to use a razor and shave off some of the plastic to make them sit flush and push on my rubber o-ring and washers to seal. Check out the 10g cooler conversion in the DIY area, I belive almost any cooler can be adapted with that sort of system.

Back