Cooler MLT Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am going to start AG brewing. Currently I have been doing extract and just did my first 10 gall extract batch and want to step up to AG. I am going to use a cooler for my MLT and have some questions. I was looking at some coolers today and the ones i was looking at 50 qt and 70 qt both have wheels on them. because of the wheels there is a step inside the cooler so its not completely flat. Should I definitely get a cooler with a flat bottom. Will the step cause and issues while mashing. At the moment I plan on using a copper or pvc manifold. Thanks in advance.

It's more an issue of where the drain is located. Ideally, it should be in the lowest area. I'm pretty sure that's the case on those wheeled cube coolers. Even then, when using a manifold, you make it sit on the bottom and can have a connection tube that gets up to the bulkhead if it's an inch higher or so. BTW, get the 70qt if 10 gallon batches are your thing.

Back