cooler MLT cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern brewer

Reaction score
I made my own MLT out of a 60 quart rectangular ice chest. how often should the brass be taken apart and cleaned seperately? Should it be cleaned with anything in particular? Would bleach water be ok? Is there anything that is not ok to clean the brass with?

Thanks

southern brewer said:
I made my own MLT out of a 60 quart rectangular ice chest. how often should the brass be taken apart and cleaned seperately? Should it be cleaned with anything in particular? Would bleach water be ok? Is there anything that is not ok to clean the brass with?

Thanks
I use Oxiclean and I take it apart after each brew, clean it all and leave it apart until I brew again.

southern brewer said:

Thanks
Everything coming out of your MLT is going to get boiled.

I've done more-than-a-few batches this year and all I ever do is rinse with hot water after a mild soapy wash.

Save your sanitizing energy for everything post-boil. ;)

I'm lazy. I 'clean' with really hot water once i get all the grain out and that's it.

since it all gets boiled to high heaven, I don't worry about infection or off flavors since only grain and hot water ever touch the inside of my MLT.

A very thorough hot water rinse, and perhaps the occasional use of mildly soapy water should be all you need.

I usually take the manifold out and hit the tun with the hose, maybe a dish scrubber if there's any stubborn sticky grain bits. I toss the manifold in my brew kettle when I clean it with B-Brite.

Ok what I ment to say is after I rinse mine out and pull out the pipes I fill it with Oxiclean and hot water so I can use it to clean up after the brewing is done. So in a round about way it gets a good washing after every brew.

Back