Cooler Mashtun Build - Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am building my Mashtun out of a cooler from a friend. I decided to go the CPVC route as it was cheap and I like the manifold idea (Yes Jay I still have the false bottom and stand from you but that will have to wait for more money to build a keggle Mashtun)

How far apart do the slots need to be on the manifold?

Any suggestions on the design?

Thanks. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442788546.552371.jpg

batch or fly sparge but at least 1/4 to 1/2 from the sides. To prevent channeling on the sides. Mine is copper square manifold in a round cooler good efficiency 70% + so far

Side note, anyone put a thermometer on the side of your cooler mash tun? Would I just drill through the side?

Thanks.

they make them I just use a floating thermometer and check every 15 min when I stir the mash

It seems you would mess up the temperature doing this...if your cooler holds temp it would be best to just leave it alone. Every time you check you expose it to heat loss.

It seems you would mess up the temperature doing this...if your cooler holds temp it would be best to just leave it alone. Every time you check you expose it to heat loss.

Should I just drill a small hole for a thermometer?

Should I just drill a small hole for a thermometer?

I have to recommend an item from BrewHardware.com for this. I have a cooler MLT as well, and it works great. Search for item PCOMP3. This is designed for small probe thermometer probes to be installed in a cooler.

To answer your question, yes a thermometer in your MLT is a nice idea. Not mandatory, but very handy.

The hard part is getting the oring to seal against the pipe nipple. Most likely it's landing somewhere on the threads so you have to wrap it with a LOT of teflon tape to fill in all the threads.

Thanks Bobby. I will try again tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for instructions on your site to polish my Keggle. Will try that too tomorrow.

Back