cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
hello,
I am trying to convert a round igloo cooler to use as my mash tun . So far I have installed the ball valve into the existing outlet on the cooler, my question is, how high above the outlet should I install my thermometer. I have seen them w/ the therm directly above the b/v , but for 5 gal.recipes what would the optimum height be?( hope to do 10 gal. in the future) Also I am using a steamer insert from a s/s 6 gal pot , w/ s/s screen on top of the insert. Is a 30/30 mesh to fine? I really like all of the imput we get from this forum, keep up the good work, and thanks.

I'm not sure about the steam insert, but as far as your thermometer goes It really shouldn't matter where it goes. If you mix well enough your temp should be the same throughout. I would just place it somwhere so it doesn't get in the way of the ball valve, but still allows for easy readability.

Back