Cooler/mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydelta34

Reaction score
I have a 70 qt rectangular cooler I am considering converting into a mash tun. If I am only looking to do a 5 gal batch, is the 70qt cooler too big for the mash? Cooler dimensions are: L29.5" x W16.31" x H15.69"

I asked this and in summary, no. A false ceiling was suggested, to keep heat loss to a minumum due to the extra headspace. I plan to take a couple of styrofoam cooler lids I have hanging around, wrap them in aluminum foil, then wedge in the cooler above the mash.

I'd be more concerned about grainbed depth. Should be okay, but you'll have to take extra precaution in vorlaufing in order to not distrub the grainbed.

For example, i suggest using a coffee container lid or something to dissipate the force generated by pouring the first runnings back in. A thinner bed is more sensitive to disturbances.

I would recommend a round five gal or ten gal. cooler. I think your efficiency will be better.

I would recommend a round five gal or ten gal. cooler. I think your efficiency will be better.

I get 75-77% when I batch sparge and 85- 90% when I fly sparge with a non-round cooler. The shape means nothing. It comes down to having a good manifold, crush and hitting your numbers.

Back