Cooler Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weetodd

Reaction score
I'm planning the move to AG and trying to decide what the best cooler to get for my mash tun. I do 5 gallon batches, mostly in the 1.050 - 1.060 range but will do some higher gravity brews. So, I think a round 5 gallon is probably too small (or I don't necessarily want to be limited or buy a new bigger cooler in the fall). I've been doing minimash batch sparges and would expect to batch sparge at the AG level too.

I can order the 10 gallon round cooler online for about $50 and be good to go, but I've seen the standard rectangle 48 qts models for $15 at the local Walmart. I've also seen that the Ice Cubes are popular too, though the ones locally all have wheels and the spigot is angled strangely which makes the conversion look more difficult.

I'd like to save some $ but am concerned that my average brew will be too small for the 48 qt. rectangle. I've read that the grain bed should be a certain depth and I'm not sure that the 5 gallon pale ale batch would be deep enough.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences that could help me not have to do this twice, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Weetodd

I purchased a couple 10 gallon beverage coolers and built a system around those. From what I have seen, it will work well with anything from 8-24lbs of grain...

I fly sparge - and found that the coleman extreme 36 qt would be ok for about 15-18 lbs of grain max.....I I moved up to the 48 qt, and can do 25 lbs no problem. My 36 qt is now used for a HLT. I find that the dimensions are not significantly bigger in the 48qt...something like 2 inches longer in each of the 3 dimensions - so grain depth in the 48 would not be a problem. I actually made my copper manifold for the 36 qt, and did not need to alter it for the 48 after moving it there.
The coleman extremes hold heat very well...most other people said that rubbermaids do a good job as well.
I would therefore recommend the 48...as you could do bigger OG beers and or have more wort if you can room in the pot to boil it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Those are cheaper... I guess I just bought the Rubbermaid beverage coolers for the look... damn! Here is a link, the shelving system is what I use now, it is a little different though, there are now (4) shelves, the bottom has my boil kettle, 6.5 gallon carboy and my 6.5 gallon (plastic) sanitizer bucket on it. The second shelf has my 10 gallon MLT and a box with my bottling bucket/spigot inside it (so I dont scratch it all up! The third shelf is the 10 gallon HLT, my 5.5 gallon carboy and my 1 gallon carboy, the top and final shelf has (2) plastic storage totes for storing my misc. parts (hoses, clamps, canes, bottling equipment, etc.) ALL of the shelves are cut down the middle, that way I can remove the left or right side when I am actively brewing to allow access to the MLT, HLT, boil kettle, sparger and such. Basically a 3 tier system, that turns back into a shelving/storage system when I am not actively brewing!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

POL

I'm in the same situation I am planning on getting into AG so my buddy gave me a Rubbermaid 5 gallon round cooler he had laying around. Is this going to be big enough? what can I use this cooler for? I hate to not use it and spend money on buying a new one..

fins2rit said:
I'm in the same situation I am planning on getting into AG so my buddy gave me a Rubbermaid 5 gallon round cooler he had laying around. Is this going to be big enough? what can I use this cooler for? I hate to not use it and spend money on buying a new one..

Definitely use it. Those 5 gallon coolers will do batches of beer up to ~12 lbs of grain. And you can modify them into a MLT just like the 10 gallon ones (see my sig for details).

If you want to do bigger beers, you can eventually get a bigger cooler. If you plan on batch sparging anyways, the rectangular ones work well and are much cheaper in the larger sizes than a round one, so a second cooler won't cost much. Then you can use the 5 gallon for a hot liquor tank. That's a perfect setup for doing all kinds of 5 gallon batches of beer.

With a 5 gallon cooler you can get 12-13 pounds of grains in. It's tight, and plan on at least three sparges but it is doable. I have a 5 gal gott cooler as well as a coleman extreme cooler that I am going to convert. What I like about it is that the spigot is on the very bottom and angled downward so that I won't lose any wort due to negative space. I just need to figure out what fittings will work. If you are batch sparging, just go with the square coolers. They are cheaper than the round ones, and your grain bill could be as large as you want it to be.

Dan

if you ever plan on going to 10 gallon batches, you should consider something even larger.

i have the 48, and wish i had bought the 60 (i just might do it now anyway). you are right about the hump. if i get it, i plan on drilling a new hole at the bottom on the opposite side to attach my valve and SS braid to.

We've got a 36 quart Coleman Xtreme and we maxed it out this past weekend with a 20 pound grain bill.

FWIW

I see you use the round rubbermaid cooler. I just picked up a 10 gallon unit. How do you get the temp of the mash? Did you drill a hole for a "stick through" thermometer?

thanks

jzuidema said:
I see you use the round rubbermaid cooler. I just picked up a 10 gallon unit. How do you get the temp of the mash? Did you drill a hole for a "stick through" thermometer?

thanks

I throw a floating thermometer in the mash and close it up. I stire once at 30 minutes, check the temp and close it back up. No need to monitor in a cooler really.

Dan

Thanks for all of your responses. I was able to find a 10 gal rubbermaid at the local Home Depot and because I already have a 2 gal mini mash setup can use all of the parts on the new one saving a little money. I think that will give me some good flexibility for bigger gravities, batches and sparging techniques in the future.

Back