Cooler Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've tried pricing a cheap 5 gal cooler build from HomeDepot/Lowes, but cannot find any of the stainless fittings I see used.

Someone I know that built one said the problem with brass fittings is zinc. He said he found "zinc free" brass fittings and used it with his. Is this OK to do?

I've wondered about PVC fittings. On one hand I don't know they are food grade, but then they are typically used for water. But can they stand the boiling water I use to preheat with or even up to 160* for a long mash? I doubt in the plumbing world they'd see temps above 150*...

I asked him to bring his mash tun cooler for my brew day to see if my new BIAB bag could somehow be used. His was the press down fit type lid (not screw on), and it does seem as though it could be used for some time before it wears the bag down.

I've thought of trying some cheap spigot with a barb end for a hose for now. Maybe later down the road I'll concern myself with a more proper build... Anyone done his?

What materials are OK and what are not? I certainly wouldn't want the black pipe used for gas piping or the galvanized parts. But what of brass or PVC or any others?

I use the 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot and use the large BIABag to mash in. I made a list of the parts I used to build mine on this page

I had to to go to a contractor hardware store to buy my flare washers. I had to buy 12 of them... if nothing above works try looking for a contractors store.

I see they also have a brass valve assembly. What's wrong with brass?

You can either attach the braided hose over the coupler with a stainless hose clamp if there is enough sticking out, or you can use something like a bazooka tube to thread into the coupler

I buy all of my stainless fittings from the local pipe supply distributor. For instance, in my area it is "Bakersfield Pipe Supply". GREAT prices!

From BargainFittings:
Bulkhead Kit - 14.00
2 Piece SS Ball Valve - 7.99
1/2" SS Hose Barb - 4.15
Shipping = 5.00

==> 31.14

Their mash screens that does attach is 19.00. Cheaper than building a manifold unless you went CPVC.

I'll have to take another look at them. I looked but it wasn't easy for me to find exactly what I thought I needed to look for. That price beats AHS' price. Thanks!

You won't find stainless steel fittings at most hardware stores. I too have had good luck with bargain fittings.

I used some brass fittings in mine - and as i recall it wasn't zinc but small portions of lead used in order to make the brass alloy. All reports I read said that it was such small amounts that it was not a concern.

Like many people though, I didn't want ANY lead coming into contact with my wort, so I read up on a method of removing the surface lead. It was very simple to do. You simply sit the brass fitting in a mixed solution of white vinegar and peroxide (Google the ratio) and this removes all surface lead.

I just looked it up - John Palmer tells us its a 2:1 mix of vinegar to hydrogen peroxide:

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Back