Cooler into mash tun questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
What is the minimum size a cooler needs to be?

If the outer wall of a cooler is cracked but the inside of the cooler is fine and holds water, is the insulation factor lost?

You can use a 5gal, but 10gal is better. If you are approaching high gravity beers with lots of grain, you might need more than 5.

I would think it would be ok - not bad but not good. Might lose more temp than normal, but I don't see it being drastic. That is depending on the crack.

What is the minimum size a cooler needs to be?

Five gallons, if you want to make 5 gallon batches all grain.

If the outer wall of a cooler is cracked but the inside of the cooler is fine and holds water, is the insulation factor lost?

I would think so. If it doesn't hold maybe you can wrap a blanket around it or something.

Five gallons, if you want to make 5 gallon batches all grain.

That's a bit of misinformation. If you want to make average gravity beers, 5 gallons is ok. You can't make a big barleywine or a RIS in a 5 gallon tun. I've needed 27 pounds of grain, and it just isn't happening in something that small.

Latest posts

Back