Cooler Fermentation Temp To Slow Krausen Rise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
Brewing higher alcohol beers, for me at least (6%). I'm wondering if I ferment towards the low end of the recommended fermentation temperature for the yeast will it help prevent spillovers (slow and even out the krausen rise), as it seems the last couple of beers I've brewed have insisted on clogging up the airlock.

The amount of krausen doesn't really relate to either the gravity of the beer OR the fermentation temp. In fact there's really nothing quantifiable about why some beers krausen a lot, a little or have blowoffs. There's too many variables, such as yeast strain or the protein content of the wort.

In fact the biggest blowoff I ever had was from a low grav ordinary bitter. Fermented relatively cool.

If you're worried then get some fermcap foam control drops and add to the fermenter. That will prevent a blowoff. Or you can just use a blowoff tube, just in case.

Airlock was clearly getting clogged on this old ale with S-04 about 12 hours after pitching and the seal was good enough on the bucket (food grade with rubber gasket) that the top was dome shaped with the pressure buildup. I pulled the airlock out with a "pop" and got a splash of beer mist into the face in the process. Decided the rubber gasket was not doing me any favors, so far, not much drippage, but could have been an eventful brew.

Back