Cool whip cooler turned kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly13A

Reaction score
Figured it was about time to share my project. I received an old cool whip cooler from a friend and the flat glass lid had been broken. The guy had been using it as a meat cooler on his porch until his son broke the glass door. So it was time to start its third life as a kegerator.

First step was to clean it up, a mouse nest was in the with the motor and just full of mouse droppings, it smelled terrible. Then I gave it a coat of black appliance paint. Next came the collar, just went with a 2x4 to keep it from getting too tall. I insulated the collar with insulation board and sprayed insulation in the corners, applied silver insulation tape mostly for it to look less pink. Figuring out what to do for the lid was difficult because this cooler didn't come with a lid. I ended up cutting two plywood sheets uniform, then cut out the center of the lower layer to reduce weight. filled that center with insulation board and covered with silver tape, I wrapped the outer layer in black carbon vinyl film. Then it was just adding the faucets and distributor. Placed a drip tray and paper towel holder using magnets. I have room for two 5 gallon kegs, the CO2 canister, and a 3 gallon keg if I choose, could place a third faucet in the middle. I'm happy with how it turned out as my first kegerator.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.JPG
    IMG_3610.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 336
  • collar.jpg
    collar.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 330
Nice! how did you do the lid? What type of hinges did you go with? Just curious, applying hinges is my last step.
1/2 inch plywood with double layer foil back board insulation. Window foam tape to make a air tight seal on the 2x10s. No hinge, just a drop in/ set on lid. Works really nice and seals well.

Wow what a great rescue! I have a rockstar cylinder fridge that I use as a ferm chamber, didn't get to mod it much but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another merchandiser. I would think that these commercial units are built a bit tougher and more powerful than a domestic freezer.

I would think so too Jayjay, especially when you think that the glass top(on ours) doesn't have good insulation factor, and they get opened..alot.
I put all components(manifold, fan, ) on the 2x10 and didn't glue that to the freezer. That way when it's time to clean being it's small enough i can lift my collar off and set it aside. I can then reach the bottom of the unit with ease. Or, which i have done, pit the original glass top back on and use as a ferm chamber in a pinch.

Figured it was about time to share my project. I received an old cool whip cooler from a friend and the flat glass lid had been broken. The guy had been using it as a meat cooler on his porch until his son broke the glass door. So it was time to start its third life as a kegerator.

First step was to clean it up, a mouse nest was in the with the motor and just full of mouse droppings, it smelled terrible. Then I gave it a coat of black appliance paint. Next came the collar, just went with a 2x4 to keep it from getting too tall. I insulated the collar with insulation board and sprayed insulation in the corners, applied silver insulation tape mostly for it to look less pink. Figuring out what to do for the lid was difficult because this cooler didn't come with a lid. I ended up cutting two plywood sheets uniform, then cut out the center of the lower layer to reduce weight. filled that center with insulation board and covered with silver tape, I wrapped the outer layer in black carbon vinyl film. Then it was just adding the faucets and distributor. Placed a drip tray and paper towel holder using magnets. I have room for two 5 gallon kegs, the CO2 canister, and a 3 gallon keg if I choose, could place a third faucet in the middle. I'm happy with how it turned out as my first kegerator.
Excellent job! Great repurposing project!

Back