Cool new beer store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
I live in Lexington, KY and a new beer store has opened recently that is solely about craft beer. They don't even have ice or any coke/pepsi so if you want water you get it right out of the faucet under the bar. It has an amazing selection of beer though. It is a beer store to buy beer to take home but it also has 8 rotating taps. When I say rotating I mean like every day or two because most of the stuff is pretty rare to have in kegs and they usually only get one or two kegs. This Tuesday Adam Avery from Avery brewing will be there with "some special kegs" which I am very excited for. I can't wait to have a discussion with him about getting his start in brewing and the development of Avery. Anyways just thought I'd share in case anyone is ever in Lexington. Here is the link to the website.

http://thebeertrappe.com/

Funny tidbit: I was sitting in there drinking last weekend and a guy walks up to the bar (stereotypical hillbilly) and he says in a Kentucky southern accent "I'll have a miller lite." The bartender explains that they don't carry any miller coors or Anheuser products. Then he say "I'll take the lightest thing you got." I am thinking to my self why the F*** is this guy even in here? The stuff they had on tap that night was amazing and I just don't understand how someone can walk into a place like this and not realize that ordering a miller lite is basically disrespecting everyone in there and what the store is about.

Looks like a great place but yeah I see people order miller lite at places like that all the time

Grats on a cool store! It sounds FANTASTIC.

Funny tidbit: I was sitting in there drinking last weekend and a guy walks up to the bar (stereotypical hillbilly) and he says in a Kentucky southern accent "I'll have a miller lite." The bartender explains that they don't carry any miller coors or Anheuser products. Then he say "I'll take the lightest thing you got." I am thinking to my self why the F*** is this guy even in here? The stuff they had on tap that night was amazing and I just don't understand how someone can walk into a place like this and not realize that ordering a miller lite is basically disrespecting everyone in there and what the store is about.

I do not get this part of the story...not to be disrespectful to you but you are in KY. The hillbilly FITS...lol. I would guess we were all THIS guy at some point before we knew any better. I seriously doubt he meant any disrespect at all when asking for BMC. He was probably thirsty and wanted a beer.

Next time try being polite and suggest a nice brew for the person that they may like. I would have BOUGHT the guy his 1st round. Then explain what the place IS all about. If there is still beer left I would have added that I brew my own beer.

I bet the guy would have been interested and probably a generally decent fellow. I would be pretty surprised if he did not at least offer to buy the next round. He may have even been a future brewers assistant or even had some great shine out in the truck...

I guess what I am saying is do not forget where YOU came from.

No disrespect taken. I know I am in Kentucky but it isn't where I am from (Colorado) and most people in Lexington aren't 'hillbillys' . You are right I am sure he didn't mean any disrespect by this but regardless I thought it was funny. I didn't laugh in his face or anything so I wasn't impolite or anything. I mean I would equate this to someone walking into a city's best steak house and asking for chicken fingers and ketchup. I agree that we were all this guy at some point in respect to drinking BMC but I know that if I went into a place like this and had never had a craft brew I wouldn't order the normal I would definitely go in with the intention of trying something new. The bartender beat me to suggesting a beer for him and I am just a college student in debt that shouldn't be buying expensive beer in the first place so I definitely can't afford to be buying strangers beer. I guess in reality the people to blame for this guy's beer ignorance is probably the BMC and their marketing schemes. This place is surprisingly busy every night which is a good sign of the craft brew scene even in Kentucky. Now we just need some freaking breweries around here! There is only one that I know of and that is the Altech brewery which only makes 3 beers: kentucky light, kentucky ale, and bourbon barrel (kentucky ale aged in bourbon barrels). None of which are great or anything out of the ordinary.

Back