Cool fermented lager with......?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last two Faketoberfests I attempted fermented with Lutra yeast. Encouraged by the wort in my last ale, that I was able to get chilled to ~60, this year I'm going to use a real lager yeast. Since I am unlikely to reach true lager temps w my swamp cooler, what anyone recommend?

34/70, Diamond Lager or Cellar Science German lager. Keep it below 65*f and you’ll have a nice clean yeast profile.

The warm fermented lager thread is a good resource.
Thank you. I've heard about Diamond and 34/70. Looking into CS now, which I haven't.

I’ve used CS German Lager a lot and have liked it. Some have experienced really long lag times with CS which can be alarming and off putting. I recently experienced that with their Monk strain but have never had problems with their German Lager. FWIW

i couldnt tell the difference between cs german and 34/70 prolly cause they are the same.

i will attest that 34/70 is very tolerant of ale temps. 62-68 no problem.
it still cleaner at 56-58 imo tho

i have done 72 under 10 psi pressure which also came out very clean. as clean as cold ferment.

diamond i was not as fond of and wouldnt use it again.
there are better dry lager yeasts imo

In my opinion, 34/70 is the perfect yeast to use for the first lagers you brew. It’s very neutral, tolerates relatively high temperature, and doesn’t need any kind of babying to avoid diacetyl or sulfur. Pitch two packs dry for five gallons (arguably one if you’re fermenting warmer) and let it do its thing.

For a malt-forward lager like a marzen, 34/70 is ideal for anyone.

Buy 10 packs at RiteBrew for a reasonable price.

In my opinion, 34/70 is the perfect yeast to use for the first lagers you brew. It’s very neutral, tolerates relatively high temperature, and doesn’t need any kind of babying to avoid diacetyl or sulfur. Pitch two packs dry for five gallons (arguably one if you’re fermenting warmer) and let it do its thing.

For a malt-forward lager like a marzen, 34/70 is ideal for anyone.

Buy 10 packs at RiteBrew for a reasonable price.
VERY reasonable.

First, I I have been getting good result with novalager at 20c and 12 psi.

For a real lager yeast I have heard about great result with the 34/70,got a pack ready for my next batch to test it
I'll proberly go 29c at 12 psi on that as well

Latest posts

Back