Cooking with hop sprouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this is common knowledge or has previously been discussed - I don't grow my own hops and don't frequent this forum. Since a quick search didn't yield any results, I thought this would be interesting:

I came across an article on the web site of a German magazine this morning that describes how extra hop sprouts are harvested between mid-March and mid-April by some of the smaller-scale hop growers in the Hallertau and sold as a gourmet vegetable, comparable to asparagus and described as having a distinct earthy-nutty taste.

Here are some nice images, and there are some simple recipes (in German)here, which can probably be translated with some of the online tools out there on the interwebs.

Interesting...they look like a cross between bean sprouts and asparagus. I might try rolling them in olive oil, sprinkling with S&P and toss on the grill for a few minutes.

Back