Convoluted Counterflow Stainless Steel 99$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a 1/2" swaglok compression and it is too small. I'm going to drill out two 1.5" tri-clamp cap and solder them on.

I got a 5/8" brass compression fitting to see if it works (before I pull the trigger on the nice stainless). No go. Slips right off. I'm not sure if the o rings are going to supply enough friction to prevent it from being pulled off. From what I under stood about the o-rings used on the copper CCFWC is that they were mainly to make sure they seal liquid tight. It's such a weird size tube. I can't find anything like it on the internet.it's somewhere in between 1/2" and 5/8". I can't find any fittings that would work right.

I'm kinda at a loss. Maybe that's why they were on clearance. :confused:

So I never did sell this but shelved it. I ended up silver soldering some 1/2 npt fittings on the wort ports today. Boiled 11 g of water and ran a test. Took me 15min of recirculating back into the kettle to reach 78* coming from the chiller, from there I slowed the ouput of the chiller to where it would read around 72* and drained all of the water in the bk. From start to finish took just a hair under 25 min. Does this seem kind of long to other people? I haven't really timed my old garden hose cfc doing the same thing, but I believe it is pretty close. I usually recirculate it in the summer for about 10min then drain to fv, winter I can do one pass. Does anyone else have any more real world experience on how long this should take with the stainless cfc? I still find this unit a bit underwhelming.

I have one and it definitely takes longer than my plate chiller. I like it better though cause my plate chiller constantly plugged with hop debris even with filtration. I've opted to use my plate chiller as a water pre-cooler utilizing an ice bath.

So I never did sell this but shelved it. I ended up silver soldering some 1/2 npt fittings on the wort ports today. Boiled 11 g of water and ran a test. Took me 15min of recirculating back into the kettle to reach 78* coming from the chiller, from there I slowed the ouput of the chiller to where it would read around 72* and drained all of the water in the bk. From start to finish took just a hair under 25 min. Does this seem kind of long to other people? I haven't really timed my old garden hose cfc doing the same thing, but I believe it is pretty close. I usually recirculate it in the summer for about 10min then drain to fv, winter I can do one pass. Does anyone else have any more real world experience on how long this should take with the stainless cfc? I still find this unit a bit underwhelming.

Whit kind of fittings did you use? I've been looking for stainless but having trouble finding them. I was going to go copper, but would rather keep the nice stainless look.

The tubing isn't a standard size so I ended up drilling tri-clamp blank caps and brazing them on.

Back