converting yoopers ruination clone to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %

1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (30 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Pacman Yeast (Wyeast) [Starter 50 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

You could use any well-attenuating clean ale yeast. WLP001, or Wyeast 1056 come to mind, or S05 for dry.

Mash at 152.
My beers seem to attenuate really well- so use a lower mash temp if you've have attenuation problems in the past. I got about 82% attenuation with the pacman yeast.

For extract, a full boil would be the same but use 8 pounds light or extra light DME.
For an extract batch with a 2.5 gallon boil, do this:
4 pounds DME
1 pound crystal 20
4 pounds DME (added at flame out)
Hopping the same.

so here is the recipe does anyone know how many pounds of 2row and dme i should use to convert this to partail mash?
thanks

I think it depends on how much grain you have the capacity to mash. So mash as much as you can and make up the rest with DME using .6# of extract for each pound of grain you need to make up.

I think it depends on how much grain you have the capacity to mash. So mash as much as you can and make up the rest with DME using .6# of extract for each pound of grain you need to make up.

I usually go with this shorthand:

5lb grain = 3 lb DME
4lb grain = 3 lb LME

I just find it easier to remember and make top-o-my-head computations.

To figure out how much you can mash, you need to start with your boil capacity. Some of that will be sparge water. Some will be liquor. The grain will absorb some of that liquor, depending on your system.

Liquor_left_after mashing + sparge_water + pot_head_space = capacity
Liquor_left_after_mashing + liquor_lost_to_grain = mash_volume

mash_volume / grain_capacity ~= 1.25 qt/lb

Did anyone get it broke down to a recipe? Would love to try this out as a partial

it all depends how much you can mash. use the calculator i posted above, and for every lb of 2-row you can't fit, sub in 0.6lb DME or 0.75lb LME

for example, say you can only mash 10lbs, your PM recipe would be
9lbs 2-row
1lb c20
3lbs light DME

Back