converting weight to volume (roughly)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a batch bottled and i need about 4.4 OZ by weight of table sugar, can anyone help me out and let me know about how much that is by volume.. i don't have a kitchen scale :(

thre are about 7oz wt of sugar in 1 cup 4.4/7 =.62 or about 3/5th of a cup ... or 2/3. Since you probably have a 2/3rd measure, I'd go with that, a little light. IT also looks like about 5/8ths, not that most have a 1/8th measure, but you could go for eyeballing 1/2 of a 1/4c measure

thank you so much! i'll do a fraction over 2/3 cup You're a life saver.

EDIT: actually i think my 1/4 cup has a halfway mark on it!!! score!

thank you so much! i'll do a fraction over 2/3 cup You're a life saver.

EDIT: actually i think my 1/4 cup has a halfway mark on it!!! score!

I must have been unclear, it should have been a little under the 2/3... but no matter, with a 1/4 cup that has a 1/2 mark, you can do 5/8th - I've got 2 sets of measuring cups one with and one without half marks.

Sweet, thanks for clarifying. 5/8 Will be easy with the half way marks. I also have two sets one with and one without half marks.

If you have a smartphone, check out an app called "Amount". It does quick conversions for all kinds of measurements, Weight/Mass, volume, temp., area, etc. It has been very helpful for brewing.

Remember that the amount by volume can vary quite a bit by how dense the sugar is in the measuring cup. I suggest you get a scale asap. I got one at Harbor Freight for $19.

Remember that the amount by volume can vary quite a bit by how dense the sugar is in the measuring cup. I suggest you get a scale asap. I got one at Harbor Freight for $19.

Agreed, www.homebrewfinds.com has scales (both large for grain and small for hops/priming/etc) listed and will track when they go on sales for you.

I used the volume of the standard table sugar as defined by domino sugar and reported in wiki.

Latest posts

Back