converting this flask to a fermenter??? Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only 1.5 gallons... good for large starters. I use a much smaller one (500 ml) on the stove directly. This is very sanitary.

It looks like a barb fitting. I would hose clamp a piece of vinyl tubing onto it and attach a valve. That way you could collect yeast for new starters. You would want to disassemble it to clean & sanitize, though.

5 Is Not Enough said:
It looks like a barb fitting. I would hose clamp a piece of vinyl tubing onto it and attach a valve. That way you could collect yeast for new starters. You would want to disassemble it to clean & sanitize, though.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? 5 Is Not Enough's suggestion sounds like a good use for it. If you're getting it on the cheap somehow, cool, but $325 is a lot of brewing ingredients!!

You can probably find a 2 gallon bucket somewhere, my grandpa gets them from the local convenience store and uses them for freezing food. The convenience store gets donut frosting in them, so they've never held anything more noxious than white frosting.

I bought a 2 L Pyrex Media Bottle for making starters because you can heat them -- I had a cheap erlenmyer flask that broke mid-boil on a starter previously. I work in a lab and was able to buy one from the university supply store for cheaper than list. You can get 5 and 10 L ones too, but they'll cost you.

i got them for free and want to use them as a small batch fermenter

ethangray19 said:
Any ideas on how to stop up this spout??

thanks to anyone with ideas out there

Have a ring stand handy? That would make a dandy small-scale conical fermenter when flipped upside-down.

yeah I do have a ring stand and the thought of a mini conical fermenter is awesome.

Any ideas on exactly how it would work??

should I just put a rubber stopper in the top and then siphon the beer out through a very small tube that could fit in the barbed glass tip thing that stick out of the flask??

Ideas on how this could work best for a fermenter??

Thanks to anyone with ideas out there.

Engineers?????

An engineer is me!

Here's what I'd do:

1) Locate tubing that will slip tightly over the glass barb at the bottom of the flask.
2) Locate a one-hole stopper that jams tightly into the neck.
3) Locate a stub of racking cane or glass tube that fits through the hole in #2 and also into another length of tubing.

Once you have all that, slip the tubing over the barb at the bottom of the flask and clamp it. Fill the fermenter, aerate, and pitch yeast. Then put the stopper tightly into the neck, the stub of cane through the stopper, and the tubing over the stub of cane. Clamp the tubing that's sticking out of the stopper.

Next, invert the flask. A little electrical tape around the neck and stopper or some wire might give peace of mind about the stopper not falling out. Now, the tubing at the wide part of the flask (which should now be the top) ought to be above the level of the liquid. Unclamp it, and put the free end into a container of sanitizer to make an airlock. Voila! Small-scale conical.

I have no idea if it's a particularly good idea, but it might be fun to play with.

wow jds!!

Thanks, sounds like an excellent plan and like fun.

Definitely an engineer.

Back