Converting small fridge into kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrashock

Reaction score
Hello,

At the moment i have the fridge below on the pictures. I want to convert it in into kegerator, but at this moment 2 Cornelius keg (or even one) cannot fit, because of the height. The small top freezer does not allow this to happen. i want to use especially this one, because it's new and energy efficient
Option 1: Do you think that it is possible to cut the small freezer on the top? I've seen some videos showing how to cut the freezer but all of them are different model than mine.
Option 2: Is it possible to cut the part where is the compressor and move the compressor outside?
Please give me some advice! Thanks in advance!
Here are some pictures of the fridge and even a drawing.

hl1.jpg hl2.jpg hl3.jpg hl4.jpg hl5.png

Without knowing where the important components of the fridge are, I can't say whether you can cut the freezer out or not. There could be coils running through that section.

The compressor hump is probably less of an issue, if I had to guess. You could probably leave it as is and remove the drink storage components on the door.

But the freezer section is a big question mark. Maybe start considering another fridge?

I'd find another fridge without a freezer... Check Costco... They've had one that fits two corny kegs with no freezer... Its new and would be energy efficient.

Sorry, but I live in Bulgaria, Europe and it is difficult to buy Costso, bocause of the delivery. Maybe I will try to find similiar one, but i wanted to use the one I have alreday have.

Can you find the schematics for that fridge? You need to know what, if anything you would be cutting through so you don’t ruin the unit.

No, I don't have any documentation. Is there a way to catch where the copper lines are? I know that copper is not magnetic, but is the lines inside the freezer made of copper?

Turn the fridge on, feel if the freezer partition is cold. I guess that only the top (ceiling) of the fridge is cold. I would just cut the partition out if I were you.

My project is done. I'm very happy with it. Here are some pictures:
First I bought some 2nd hand corny kegs:
IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4787.JPG

Then I have cut the fridge camera and moved the compressor, the idea was to have space for 2 corny kegs. The CO2 tank is right behind the fridge:
IMG_4808.jpg IMG_4808.jpg IMG_4897.jpg
Then I've mounted the taps, install the liquid and gas lines. Liquid lines lenght are about 1.5m:
IMG_4898.jpg IMG_4899.jpg IMG_4900.jpg
Yestarday I've installed the dip tray from old pro coffee machine. And one picture of the first ready beer - Amercan Pale Ale, single hop - Summit, about 5.2% ABV. One keg dry hopped, the one not:
IMG_5123.JPG IMG_5125.jpg

Unfortunetely I do not have any pictures.
But I can explain you: I have moved the compressor about 15cm and by hand bend the tubes of the compressor. I also made a stand for the compressor, in order not to stay on the ground. Then you have cut the plastic and isolation around the compressor, isolated it with wood, foam and EVA foam to get a rectangular shape. That's it. The hardest thing to do was cut the camera.

Back