Converting simple extract recipe to grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a kit on AIH for a Sol Cerveza clone. Now I had a Sol Cerveza a couple weeks ago and it was a nice, refreshing beer. Since this recipe kit only has four ingredients (including hops) I thought it might serve as a great way to transition to all-grain. :)
According to the recipe sheet in the instructions I downloaded from AIH, the kit has 4 lbs of LME, 1 lb corn sugar and 2 lbs of flaked maize / corn (steeped.) I did some research on Google and found the approximate ratio of LME to base malt is 1:1.23 (LME:Base Malt) so that gives me just a hair under 5# of base malt.
What about the corn sugar? Should I replace that with some malt or just leave it in there to dry it out? Should I just use plain 2-row or other "base" malt or should I add something like Pils malt in there to give a bit more flavor?

That calculation is assuming about 80% efficiency, a more typical number which assumes 75% efficiency is 1 lb LME = 1.33 lb malt (or reversed, .75 lb LME = 1 lb base malt). If your efficiency is lower use a little more. I'd probably go with pilsner malt, then you would usually keep the sugar and maize the same.

OK. Thanks. Sounds good to me. :) I figure something easy like this would be a good way to transition from extract to all-grain. :)

Well I don't know that it will necessarily be easier than another recipe. For one it's going to be a very pale beer, depending on your water that may be an issue with mash pH if you aren't paying attention to water yet. I'd suggest reading the water primer in the brew science forum for a quick guide if you haven't gotten that far yet. There also won't be much to hide behind, are you doing this as a lager? You have temp control and can pitch a good amount of yeast? Pale lagers can actually be hard to do well.

Well, instructions are to use WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 and ferment around 64-72, so I think it'll be done more as a "pale ale" style than a lager. I have to say my water tastes pretty good. :) I could always just buy 5-6 gallons of water. I can go to Walmart or my local grocery store, or even take my own bottle to a roadside stand that sells water. :) I suspect none of these are anything more than filtered, perhaps RO water.

Back