converting recipes to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
ive got 3 really nice extract/partial mash recipes id like to convert to AG. any tips? any at all?

Mainly, how to produce something close to nut brown extract in an AG venue...

Leave your specialty grains and hops as is, and just replace the extract with pale base malt. Something like promash or beersmith will help you get the right amount. Just match your targetted OG.

northern brewers nut brown extract kit with steeped specialty grains is:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
-- 0.25 lbs Simpson’s Chocolate
-- 0.25 lbs Dingemans Special B
-- 0.25 lbs Dingemans Biscuit
-- 0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
FERMENTABLES
-- 6 lbs Gold malt syrup (1.037 OG)

I come up with 7.25 lbs of british 2row (1.038 OG) to come close to 6lbs of liquid malt extract at 75% efficiency

yeah but , and i havent really started any research yet, but how to reproduce the nut brown extract?
From this website: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/NUT_BROWN_EXTRACT_8_LBS_P1275C99.cfm
Our Nut Brown extract has been formulated specifically for brown ale brewing. We worked over a year developing this extract, which includes a blend of pale, victory, crystal, chocolate, and other malts to give a rich dark amber color and complex malt character with a nutty, almost walnut-like accent.
So basicaly this extract is in fact a "beer in a can", and it's made not only from 2-row, but also other malts.
IMHO, a typical Nut Brown Ale grain bill looks something like this: 85% 2-row, 5% Crystal~60, 5% Chocolate, 5% Victory or Biscuit Malt. This is a good starting point to create a Nut Brown recipe.
Willamette or Fuggle for hops etc.

Some real Brown malt could get put into the mix too. I used brown malt in a dark mild recently & a porter... liked the results.

Latest posts

Back