Converting pale dme to amber dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavyfoot

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought 50 lbs of Briess pale dme. There's a couple recipes I'd like to try that call for amber dme. Any idea on how to make the equivalent of a pound of amber dme using pale dme and steeping grains?

Breiss amber extract is (according to their website) a blend of pale, crystal60, and munich. You will have a tough time replicating this with the pale dme and steeping grains. The trouble is, munich malt doesn't do a great job as a steeping grain, so you are going to have a hard time getting an equivalent. You pick up some munch dme as well and steep the crystal, but I can't find any information suggesting proportions. You are probably better off converting all-grain recipes to extract than trying to convert one extract to another.

When last I converted a recipe calling for amber DME, to all-grain, I used 6 lbs 2-row, 3 lbs munich, and 1 lb C60. I have no idea how accurate that was, but the beer turned out great.

In your situation, I'd probably go about 60% DME, 30% Munich LME, 10% C60. How wrong could you go?

frazier said:
When last I converted a recipe calling for amber DME, to all-grain, I used 6 lbs 2-row, 3 lbs munich, and 1 lb C60. I have no idea how accurate that was, but the beer turned out great.

In your situation, I'd probably go about 60% DME, 30% Munich LME, 10% C60. How wrong could you go?

I would do that for sure but I don't think
that Munich lme is available where I live.

I would do that for sure but I don't think
that Munich lme is available where I live.

In that case, if you can't get amber dme or munich dme, I think you might be SOL. Munich doesn't substitute out very well. Your best options are to look for other recipes or to consider doing a partial mash.

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to step it up to partial mash. Oh well, I should probably be getting into partial mashes anyway. It doesn't really add much time to the extract plus steeping method anyway, does it?

Heavyfoot said:
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to step it up to partial mash. Oh well, I should probably be getting into partial mashes anyway. It doesn't really add much time to the extract plus steeping method anyway, does it?

Yep, not much more time, though you do need to be more careful about holding temps precisely.

Back