Converting LP burner to NG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuttheheeck

Reaction score
Have scoured several forums and can't find a definitive answer. Right now I am running a burner that looks like the attached.
bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

Can i buy an attachment piece to change the orrifice size? I do know that they run on drastically different pressures. such as http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TOPTIER-BURNER-NATURAL-GAS-ADAPTER-P2627.aspx

I would like to go to 2 burners anyway, 1 for HLT and 1 for BK. If not possible to convert exsisting burner I plan to buy something like this

JetBurner.jpg

The propane bill is adding up and i can tap into a NG line in my garage.

as always, thanks for the help

Search for a post by Bill Mason, bmason1623, about this. I think he was able to do it by simply threading his NG pipe to the burner. Sounded easy, but with NG be careful as it can kill you! Good luck!

The brass fitting that threads into that first picture's casting is actually the gas orifice. Notice the tiny hole in the middle. To tune it for natural gas, you'd drill it out a little bigger, small steps at a time until you get a flame that you're happy with.

The second burner is available as nat gas, but unless you have a 30+ gallon pot, that thing is about 100kbtu larger than you want. Get the 10 tip version instead if it's for a 10 or 15 gallon system.

The brass fitting that threads into that first picture's casting is actually the gas orifice. Notice the tiny hole in the middle. To tune it for natural gas, you'd drill it out a little bigger, small steps at a time until you get a flame that you're happy with.

The second burner is available as nat gas, but unless you have a 30+ gallon pot, that thing is about 100kbtu larger than you want. Get the 10 tip version instead if it's for a 10 or 15 gallon system.

Thats the answer is was looking for. Thanks! I'll probably just pick up another burner so I can fall back to LP if needed

Back