Converting Extract Pumpkin Ale to Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUbrewer79

Reaction score
Good Day Fellow Brewers,

I brewed the following recipe last year and it turned out awesome! I have since done only partial mash recipes, and would rather continue that than go back to extract. My questions are below.

7 lbs. Wheat LME
1 oz. cascade hops
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. crushed cloves
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 cups light brown sugar
Safale US-05 Yeast
2-3 small pumpkins (about 3 lbs) - Outer Shell and Meat. NO seeds or strings.

1. I cut up the pumpkins into quarters after scooping everything out and boiled them for an hour
2. Remove/Strain pumpkin from the water.
3. Start a 50 min boil and add hops.
4. Add spices with 20 mins left.
5. Remove from heat and add LME
6. Cool wort, add to fermenter, and add water to bring to 5 gallons.
7. Add Yeast
------------------
I'm not sure how to convert this to a partial mash recipe while still getting the awesome flavors. Not too much pumpkin flavor and not too spicy, but mmm very good.

1. In this recipe I boiled the pumpkin first before starting anything. Could I then use this water in my mash tun with my grains, or should I simply skip this step and add the cut pumpkins to the mash in addition to the grains? Or is there another way to do this?

2. How do I convert 7lbs Wheat LME to grains for a partial mash? I'd do AG, but don't have the equipment yet to do AG. Obviously I will need to use some extract, but would prefer to use DME (probably a pound or 2). Grains I want to use - 2-row, Victory/Biscuit, Crystal.

3. I'm thinking of possibly making this a porter or stout, where I'll need to add plenty of Chocolate Malt, Carapils, and maybe some oats as well. However, this turned out so well part of me doesn't want to mess up a good thing.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Back