converting corn grits to corn maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan33

Reaction score
I have a shinerbock recipe that I am going to try to brew for some of my friends. The recipe has 2.66 lbs of corn grits called for. I only have maize. Does anyone know how to convert this and how much maize I should use in the mash? :confused:

As I do it....

You need to completely cook your corn before mashing. You can grind it and cook it (20-30 minutes minimum) or soak it until swollen (24 hrs), make a mush and then cook it. Twice the volume of boiling water to corn. Reheat very carefully before adding to mash, use water as part of mash water but you will most likely be adding more. Keep hot water on hand when starting your mash.

As I do it....

You need to completely cook your corn before mashing. You can grind it and cook it (20-30 minutes minimum) or soak it until swollen (24 hrs), make a mush and then cook it. Twice the volume of boiling water to corn. Reheat very carefully before adding to mash, use water as part of mash water but you will most likely be adding more. Keep hot water on hand when starting your mash.

I thought I could add my flaked corn maize straight to the mash? I am not using the grits. I want to know how much flaked corn maize to add to the mash. Are you saying that I need to cook the flaked corn and use the same amount as the grits that the recipe calls for, or do I need more of the flaked maize or less. and please clarify, because I thought it could be added to the mash as is. :mug:

nathan33 said:
I thought I could add my flaked corn maize straight to the mash? I am not using the grits. I want to know how much flaked corn maize to add to the mash. Are you saying that I need to cook the flaked corn and use the same amount as the grits that the recipe calls for, or do I need more of the flaked maize or less. and please clarify, because I thought it could be added to the mash as is. :mug:
Whatever you do throw in some rice hulls or you'll have a really messy sparge.

I thought I could add my flaked corn maize straight to the mash? I am not using the grits.

Yes you can.

I want to know how much flaked corn maize to add to the mash.

1:1 If your recipe calls for 2.66 pounds of grits, use the same amount of maize.

Are you saying that I need to cook the flaked corn.

NO. At nearly three dollars a pound at my LHBS, if I had to do a cereal mash, I would just buy grits.

Rice hulls are cheap, and don't hurt anything to use, and I know that many people routinely use them, but I use up to 30% flaked maize in one version of my CAP and have never had a stuck sparge. YMMV

Thanks jpFuller. This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back