Converting a keg to keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
WEll guys I may have found a sanke keg locally. Guy says he paid $150 each for them, wants $120. I know it's expensive but it's either that or pay $700 to get a 15 gallon blichmann shipped to me. Also this keg has rubber around the top and bottom, is removing this going to be a problem?
Reason for this post is I'd like to know where I can buy the parts to install a ball valve, thermo and sight glass. All weldless. I know there all pretty easy to come by but I'd like to buy all this from the one supplier, where have you all gotten you conversion parts from?

Removing the rubber is going to be a PITA ... And the price seems a little high ... $120 is a decent price for a cut and cleaned keggle.

WEll guys I may have found a sanke keg locally. Guy says he paid $150 each for them, wants $120. I know it's expensive but it's either that or pay $700 to get a 15 gallon blichmann shipped to me. Also this keg has rubber around the top and bottom, is removing this going to be a problem?
Reason for this post is I'd like to know where I can buy the parts to install a ball valve, thermo and sight glass. All weldless. I know there all pretty easy to come by but I'd like to buy all this from the one supplier, where have you all gotten you conversion parts from?

There's other options.... http://spikebrewing.com/product_info.php?products_id=54 :mug:

SpikeBrewing said:

That's gonna run me close to 300 By the time I add sight glass valve and thermo, and shipping. I know the keg is expensive but it's the first one I've come across locally in 10 months of searching. I'd buy a blichmann or some other kettle from a manufacturer but shipping is too crazy. $700 for a 15 gallon blichmann shipped to my location.
I know all about the kegs and kettle prices locally and the prices in the US. I'm in a remote area of Canada and it's nowhere near the same.

Geeze... For $120 I would buy a keg of bud light and throw a party. You would come out cheaper that way, plus you am your friends get some beer.

Look through Craigslist, I see sankey kegs on my local CL fairly frequently. Not too long ago I bought two empty kegs for $50.

That's gonna run me close to 300 By the time I add sight glass valve and thermo, and shipping. I know the keg is expensive but it's the first one I've come across locally in 10 months of searching. I'd buy a blichmann or some other kettle from a manufacturer but shipping is too crazy. $700 for a 15 gallon blichmann shipped to my location.
I know all about the kegs and kettle prices locally and the prices in the US. I'm in a remote area of Canada and it's nowhere near the same.

My kettles are $170 for 2 couplers WITH shipping included. A valve is $20 and thermo is $25. I'm coming up with $215. Just a hair less than the Blichmann ;)

HollisBT said:
Geeze... For $120 I would buy a keg of bud light and throw a party. You would come out cheaper that way, plus you am your friends get some beer.

Look through Craigslist, I see sankey kegs on my local CL fairly frequently. Not too long ago I bought two empty kegs for $50.

Yes, but as I said, you live in an area where there a quite a few for sale. I'm in a very remote area. This is the first sanke keg I've seen on kijiji or local classifieds in over 6 months. As for buying a keg of beer and drinking it to keep the keg, it's not gonna happen. In this province you cannot buy a keg of beer unless you own a bar/restaurant that's licensed to sell beer. Liquer stores, beer stores, etc do not sell kegs. The only kegs distributed are to restaurants/bars, which is why they are so hard to find. I've tried thhe distributers and they have contracts to give all decommissioned kegs to recyclers. I've tried the recyclers and they destroy them for scrap upon arrival.

Back