Converting a cooler to mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
After reading and watching a good many demos on converting a cooler to a mash tun. This one seem the most straight forward.

What do you guys think? What are the pros and cons of using a SS mesh tube instead of a brass manifold?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, a manifold is pretty much required for fly sparging. If you batch sparge, a braid will work fine. I no-sparge and I use a braid, with no problems. It is starting to get a little dinged up from stirring, but still works fine.

IIRC, a manifold is pretty much required for fly sparging. If you batch sparge, a braid will work fine. I no-sparge and I use a braid, with no problems. It is starting to get a little dinged up from stirring, but still works fine.

I've been looking at batch sparging.

The vid i posted used telefon tape on the fittings, is this necessary? There's no pressure..

I've been looking at batch sparing.

The vid i posted used telefon tape on the fittings, is this necessary? There's no pressure..

It makes for good, tight seals on the threads. I use it on all my fittings whether pressure or not.

Sanitation is not important in the mash tun. You'll be boiling the wort. If you carefully wrap the threads, you'll be fine.

Teflon tape on the internal connections is IMHO silly. If those connections leak a little, it will just contribute to the sparge. No point in taping a connection adjacent to a ss braid??? If I were to try this method w/ a nipple and conduit washers, I would seal the nipple at the cooler wall w/ teflon tape, or better yet some silicone sealant. The way it is done in the video, there is nothing sealing the threads and it may leak at that point IMO.

Back