converting a cooler to a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
Hi there to all.

I want to upgrade my system so I will convert bigger cooler to a mash tun. I wanted to ask is there a good way to convert a cooler that has no drainage hole in the wall, like this one:

bravo32LV.gif

how to make a hole in it without ruining it completely? and how to assemble all the other parts.

Of course, I want something that will last....

Thanks!

p.s.

I already have one like this, but smaller, and I really made a big mistake when I converted it. I didn't know that it has two walls so I managed to fix it with epoxy and some other really strong two component glues, but I think it will start leaking soon.

This time I would like to make it look and act really good.

here's what I would consider doing:
any weldless bulkhead kit will work for getting the liquid out (with an appropriate manifold), but the problem is there isn't enough strength in between the inner and outer walls to maintain a tight and reliable seal once you cut the hole. get yourself some PVC pipe whose inner diameter allows for the bulkhead kits nipple to fit through, but keep it tight. drill your hole through the cooler to allow that PVC pipe through the hole, then epoxy the areas where the wall meets the pipe. this should keep the walls nice and firm so you can mount your bulkhead.

sound like a reasonable solution?

By the way I drilled holes in my coolers with a box cutter and a screw driver. The inside is just styrofoam, so I just cut out as small of a hole as possible and pushed the styrofoam out with the screwdriver. Very sophisticated.

I used (in reverse order from outside to in, and all available at Home Depot) a 1/2" brass ball valve, a 3/4" stainless steel washer, a 3/4" neoprene washer, a 1/2" outer diameter 1.5" long brass nipple, a plastic soda cap, and a stainless steel 1/2" coupler.

I used the soda cap (with a hole cut into it) as a washer since my brass nipple left too much space between the wall of the cooler and the end of the coupler. I sealed the gaps between the nipple and the cooler wall with blue RTV.

No leaks so far, but I usually hold the nozzle still when I turn it on and off so as not to wear out the cooler wall.

Back