Converting 60-Min to FWH + Subbing High AA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I keep reading all the threads on these individual subjects but I'm still trying to decide what the general recommendation might be in my case, so here goes. . . .

Whenever I see a recipe like EdWort's Haus PA (which I'm brewing tomorrow), I wonder if it would be better to substitute some Summit or Apollo (both 17%-20%AA) for the 60-minute low-AA hops originally called for, because I have a freezer with random ounces of these types of hops and a hankerin' to put less green material in for the full boil if I can get the same bittering.

At the same time, I like going the FWH route. I understand that this does retain some of the flavor from those bittering hops.

So, the question becomes whether I want to do the AA% substitution, or keep the hop schedule the same but move the 60-minute addition to FWH (how I normally do my recipe mods), or both.

What would you do, and why?

Back