Quantcast

Convert LME to DME?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kdt3xas2006

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my second brew and have a question regarding LME and DME. My first brew was a Cooper kit, pretty much boil and pour. Easy. Now however, I want to step up to using a recipe but for reasons I won't go into, I can't use LME. My question then is when looking at a recipe that calls for so many lbs. of LME, how do I decide how much DME to use instead? In short, how do I convert LME to DME in a recipe?

Thanks for helping me get to my own personal beer Nirvana!

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a recipe that specifies DME, multiply the amount by 1.25 to get the necessary amount of LME. To convert from LME to DME, divide by 1.25.

*EDIT* that's not the one I normally use...I googled and that came up...but it didn't seem right.

Here's what I normally use...

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

And for those that want to convert to an all grain:
1lb Base grain = 0.67lb DME = 0.75lb LME

Arneba28

Reaction score
dont forget the taste will be different. the coopers kits are prehopped as they say.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
OK so you have to take the LME spray it through a misting system into a hot dry room, like a kiln on low. Spray it all out making sure that it dries completely into a powder. Collect all of the powder and you have converted LME into DME!! Wasn't that easy?;)

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
cheezydemon said:
OK so you have to take the LME spray it through a misting system into a hot dry room, like a kiln on low. Spray it all out making sure that it dries completely into a powder. Collect all of the powder and you have converted LME into DME!! Wasn't that easy?;)
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!:ban:

OP
K

kdt3xas2006

Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. Now all I have to do is find a kiln to go with my misting system.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
kdt3xas2006 said:
Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. Now all I have to do is find a kiln to go with my misting system.
I'm sure the DIY guys have a solution.

I'm thinking cookie sheets in the oven at 200 degrees.

:mug: