Convert butane burner to propane and BTU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaddayadda93

Reaction score
In an effort to reduce the wear-and-tear on the kitchen stove, I've been looking for a propane burner. I'm cheap, and I've been looking in second-hand stores. In a weak moment, I saw a never-been-used camp stove for only $7. I was pretty excited and I had people with me so I had to hurry and I didn't read the box close enough. When I got home I realized that the burner is butane, not propane, and it is only rated to 6,5000 BTUs. Soooo, two questions:

1. It's probably possible to convert it to propane, but at what expense or difficulty?

2. Is it even worth it at 6,500 BTUs? Is that enough to do 3-4 gallons for an extract brew?

Thanks for the advice.

6500 BTUs can probably boil 3 gallons (that's around the heat of a 1500 watt heater that many use in their heat sticks)

As far as converting this to propane I'm going to give it a no go unless the manufacturer has a kit to do so. I'm not a fan of experimentation With explosive gasses

Back