Convert Burner - Natural Gas to Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr3x

Reaction score
How do I convert this burner from natural gas to propane? Connector valve shown is a Leemco a-150c with markings indicating that it can be switched between fuel sources but online doc is skimpy.

I have a hose with valve to connect it with a tank

Also do I need to do anything to change out the nozzles to compensate for the change in pressure?

Some have said I am missing an air intake also but not sure what that looks like or where it goes in to the line.

burner.jpg

Propane.jpg

Last edited:
Going from natural gas at the typical 11" WC to "high pressure" propane requires replacing all of the jets with ones sporting the proper orifice size.
As for "air intake", the jet bodies have their own "intake" for make-up air...

Cheers!

[edit] If that's a 1/2 psi regulator up-stream of the ball valve, you may be able to run your propane line through that.
Give it a try and see what happens wrt flame quality.

Going from natural gas at the typical 11" WC to "high pressure" propane requires replacing all of the jets with ones sporting the proper orifice size.
As for "air intake", the jet bodies have their own "intake" for make-up air...

Cheers!

[edit] If that's a 1/2 psi regulator up-stream of the ball valve, you may be able to run your propane line through that.
Give it a try and see what happens wrt flame quality.

Here are the valve markings:
LEEMCO A-150C
6" NAT to 10" LP
1/2 PSI Max

I'll try it - do I need to do any adjustment to the valve itself? Wasn't able to find a user manual for it.

Thanks

valve_front.jpg

valve_back.jpg

I can't even find a description of what that thing does - beyond obviously providing some kind of regulation effect.
The "convertible" implies you can change its operation depending on how you hook it into your plumbing.
Then, guessing from the "1/2 psi Max" and "4" NAT 10" LP" stamped on it, if you supply it with up to 1/2 psi of LP it'll output 10" WC, and if you supply it with up to 1/2 psi of NG it'll put out 4" WC. Both contingent on plumbing it correctly.

So, note the 1/2 psi max. That has to be the input spec, so you'll need to run your adjustable regulator very low indeed - a partial turn from full-off at most. Without a manometer you'll just have to SWAG the setting...

Cheers!

Back