Convert AG 6 gal recipe to 10 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I want to brew the Belgian blonde recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Their recipes are for 6 gallons.

How do I convert it to do 10 gallons so I am using the right amount of grains, etc? This is the first time doing this and need to reach out to the pros!

Thanks.

Thanks! So if I understand, that would be for each ingredient in the recipe? Could I e pect approximate OG to be the same?

Thanks! So if I understand, that would be for each ingredient in the recipe? Could I e pect approximate OG to be the same?

Yes. You won't need to multiply the yeast- just use the proper amount for a 10 gallon batch. (Consult mrmalty.com and the pitching calculator for the exact amount of yeast that should be used).

The book you're referring to is for a 5.5 gallon batch into the fermenter, though. I'd probably just double everything, and plan on 11 gallons, leaving .75 gallons behind in the kettle or for trub losses. That would be 'close enough' for me.

Right on! I'll just double it then. I'm splitting into two carboys, would I be good by doing a starter based on MrMalty and the just measuring out evenly for each carboy?

Right on! I'll just double it then. I'm splitting into two carboys, would I be good by doing a starter based on MrMalty and the just measuring out evenly for each carboy?

Yes, set the batch size in the Mr. Malty calculator and you can split the starter to both carboys. Give the starter a good swirl before pitching to ensure the all the yeast is in suspension before dividing between the 2 fermenters.

I do 11 gal batches as my standard size and invested in 2 flasks and 2 stir plates. It's not necessary however, more for convenience. I don't trust myself to be accurate when trying to divide the starter equally.

Back