Convert 5 gallon recipes to 1 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
Is there any easy way to convert 5 gallon recipes down to 1 gallon? Can I just divide everything by 5? I only ask because I have a 2 gallon bucket from first entry into homebrewing and I wanted to do a strong English Ale. If anyone has a good Strong Ale (extract only for now) I would be open to seeing it.

Just divide everything by five, it'll get you close enough to where you need to be.

Except for the yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, you'll probably be fine pitching the whole vial. Check mrmalty.com and go to the yeast pitching calculator to make sure!

Man you are going to be sooo disapointed when you bottle that and only get 8 or 12bottles. And it turns out soooo good. But if you want more you have to wait another 5 or 6 weeks.

I suggest doing 5 gal. It won't spoil, and you can give it away if you don't want to drink it all.

Yes, steep and boil same time.

i do one gallon brews and if i like it i make them in larger quantity's. and sometimes i am glad i made a small batch. but when everyone likes it, and wants another, their isnt enough to go around. i mostly do them for trials because all my brewing is off the top of my head.

Diatre

I am doing 1 gallon all-grain brewing. I would like to convert 5 gallon recipes to one gallon. Most of the Recipes are 6 gallon batches. I think dividing by 5 makes sense but want to make sure i shouldn't be dividing by 6.

Thank you,
Oddcarout

Any idea if BeerSmith2 will convert an all grain recipe to partial mash? I've seen it do AG to extract....

Ive heard you can scale base grains but specialty malts shouldnt. However going from 5gal to 1gal id immagine some scaling is necessary

Back