Conversion from extract to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_in_WI

Reaction score
is there a quick and dirty conversion from pounds of malt extract to pounds of grain?

I found a recipe that calls for 6.6 pounds Northwestern Weizen malt extract. How many (roughly) pounds of actual grain would this be? I have done all-grain before so does that make me an "intermediate-beginner"?

Chuck

I think I used to think that 7# of liquid extract was similar to 10 pounds of grain. I think that you could use that but each system will be a little different depending on efficiency.

But I think you could start there.

you can make the following assumption for ~75% efficiency:

1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

so you're 6.6lbs of LME would be about 9lbs of grain

after posting my message I did a little digging. I came up with 8.5 or so pounds. thanks for the quick responses.

Chuck

Getting ready to switch to all grain myself and have a simliar question, wich grains would be a good replacement for this exact lme? (the previously mentioned Northwestern Weizen malt extract)

Getting ready to switch to all grain myself and have a simliar question, wich grains would be a good replacement for this exact lme? (the previously mentioned Northwestern Weizen malt extract)

You'll want to use some type of base malt (2 row, Maris Otter, Pilsner, etc) to replace the extract along with the desired specialty grains depending on the recipe.

I used a really simple "summer wheat" recipe it litteraly was 6.6 lbs of northwestern weizen and some fuggles no specialties...( a few secret ingredients for the secondary) and it came out great I had tons of people try it and couldnt believe the recipe was that simple, i was thinking like maybe Briess White Wheat Malt would be a good replacement? i'm just making a guess though I really have no idea

I used a really simple "summer wheat" recipe it litteraly was 6.6 lbs of northwestern weizen and some fuggles no specialties...( a few secret ingredients for the secondary) and it came out great I had tons of people try it and couldnt believe the recipe was that simple, i was thinking like maybe Briess White Wheat Malt would be a good replacement? i'm just making a guess though I really have no idea

I think most "wheat" extracts are 45% wheat/55% 2 or 6 row pale, the specific %'s may vary a bit from brand to brand, but you should be able to find those out.
Pale/Light/extra light extracts are mainly 2 row, with maybe a touch of carapils, amber and dark extracts have specialty grains like caramel and chocolate in them, %'s vary by brand and aren't always the easiest to find out.
Generally speaking, when replacing light/extra light extract with grain, use 2 row pale malt. It gets trickier when trying to replace amber or dark extract with grains, as you'll need to use a base malt and specialty grains. What I'd recommend is getting some brewing software like BeerSmith or BrewPal to help with the conversions. Software is infinitely invaluable when designing or converting recipes for your system. :mug:

Back