Controlling mash temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I do partial mash and mash my grains in a stock pot. Normally I'll cover it but leave a little space open so that it doesn't get too hot. This works for the most part but the temperatures are still far from stable.

How should I manage my temps? I use the large burner on my stove. How should I manage the burners? I'd rather not wrap it in a towel because I have this fear of it catching on fire lol

I would second the idea of sticking it in the oven at 150/warm. Reduce the headspace in your pot as much as you feel comfortable that you wont spill anything when you move it and stick it in the oven covered.

I used the oven technique for my first partial mashes - it works well. If your oven doesn't go as low as 150, preheat it to as low as it will go and then turn it off once you stick the mash in. Your mash temp should stay relatively stable.

I moved from that technique to a mini-mash tun. I followed these directions and it worked great - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Making_a_Partial_Mash_mash_tun

I now brew AG with a larger version of that same build.

I used to do partial mashes in a 3 gallon cooler that I got for cheap and lined with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Since this was usually 7lb of grain max I would just lift the bag a little and collect runnings from the unmodified spout (then batch sparge and repeat). Consistently got 75-80% efficiency this way. I have used the oven technique too, though, with good success. I would recommend one of these ways rather than trying to direct fire a small pot.

Latest posts

Back