Controlling Fermentation Temperature with Fermwrap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alangione

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've searched the forum, but couldn't find any posts that had exactly the information I was looking for. I just got a fermwrap to warm up my fermentation temperatures and I'm using it with my Johnson A419. My question is, is it better to put the temperature probe between the fermwrap and the carboy, or on the side of the carboy without the fermwrap? I'm leaning towards the side of the carboy without the fermwrap, but I've seen where people do it both ways.

Also, how does everyone insulate the carboy? Is it effective enough/safe to just wrap a blanket around it?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

P.S. The ambient temperature in my basement is 60F right now, and I'm trying to hit 72F if that makes a difference.

I put the probe on the side of the carboy away from the fermwrap. Works great. I would think if you put it in between the carboy and the fermwrap you would get false high readings and the beer temp would be too low.

As far as insulation, I use a big piece of bubble wrap held in place with some tape. Whatever you do, make sure you insulate the carboy from the basement floor.

Thanks for the reply. I found some cheap ($9) pre-cut styrofoam at Lowes and built a box to fit over the carboy for insulation.

There is carpet on the floor, but no padding or anything underneath. I have some extra styrofoam I may just sit the carboy on. Thanks again!

Back