Contract Killer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauxsho

Reaction score
So, to start this off I want everyone to know that I'm a pretty competitive person. If someone says it can't be done, I usually say something like "give me three tries!"

Anyway, the other day I had a couple (10-12) beers. I said something about my keezer project being done so my next purchase was going to be a NB starter kit and I'll be damned if I'm not going to make my first batch of beer.

In the process I had the (dumb) idea of saying I should refuse to drink and spend so much money on beer until my first batch of homebrew was ready for consumption.

Well, SWMBO said I couldn't do it. So naturally, without thinking, I said something stupid along the lines of "Action!" or "BET, suckah!" Which brings me to where I'm at now...

Somehow I ended up writing up this contract that was signed by myself, and SWMBO as a witness.

Well, the past couple weeks weren't so good at work and the starter kit I had originally planned on purchasing didn't find it's way into the budget, setting me back at least an extra two to three weeks on my original timeline!

My dry days start on the 24th and go until my first batch is ready, which, depending on when I order the starter kit, will be a month or so afterward!

50% of me says I should just tough it out and show her that I can actually commit to something (especially since she thinks I can't do it!). She's the best thing that has ever happened to me, she is awesome, and she puts up with a lot of my ****. She made it clear that I was the idiot agreeing to this whole thing and that it wasn't a punishment.

The other 50% of me wants to hire a lawyer and try to find loopholes in the contract...

Anyway, I think when I started to post this I was really looking for some outs, or some good excuses for me to renig on the whole thing. Thinking about it now though, with all the dumb **** that I do and put her through, I think I pretty much owe her this one, lol.

Wish me luck, guys.

Oh, yeah. You're stuck now. Best advice is to get a quick beer like Centennial Blonde. You can drink it in twelve days if you force carb it, cut off a few days if the lady doesn't know how long it takes to make beer.
If she doesn't drink beer, you're ahead of the game. Primary it in a keg and pull a pint every day. Pretend it's awesome. If she wants to taste your creation, that's a whole different set of criteria and options. :)
In any case, you will be beer-less for a while.
You can do it! Really!

well i would say you make a hefe as a first beer, its fast and ladies like it so you killing two pigs with 3 stones or something like that, make hefe, let it ferment for a week-10 days, i guess you will bottle (its cheap and keging is expensive) and hefe has so much yeast that dont drop out that in 3 days in the bottle its carbonated
there you go, 2 weeks, women is happy cuz she can drink clove/lemony/banana beer, you are happy cuz you can drink beer and im happy right now cuz i drink IIPA

then ferment for 7-10 days, force carb and shake a lot 3 days later you have a perfect beer

You should've said I won't drink another "beer." That way you could've still had wine or liquor!

Your other option is to start smoking cigars or something else to take the edge off. If she doesn't like the smell of stogies than you can just tell her to void the contract and you'll stop!

The other 50% of me wants to hire a lawyer and try to find loopholes in the contract...

If you choose this route, you have a good case.

Hold on a minute, I'm in my undies, okay now I have my fancy lawyer pants on.

For a contract to be valid there are 4 elements: agreement, consideration, capacity, and legality.
You have two arguments you can make. The first is that this contract lacks consideration (something of value exchanged by each party to bind the agreement). It may also consist of doing something you are not legally bound to do, refraining from doing something you have a legal right to do, or promising to do or not do something. This contract lacks consideration and would be invalid if only one party has consideration. What will she have to do if you fulfill your end of the contract? If nothing, then this contract is invalid.

The second argument you have is on the basis of capacity. Being inebriated (either voluntarily or involuntarily) means that you didn't have the mental ability to enter into a binding contract. In the eyes of the law this contract is voidable.

Good thing my keg is empty or I may not have had the "capacity" to assist you in your legal matters. Hope this helps!

FYI, I'd be happy to represent you but my retainer is a case of homebrew or a good bottle of scotch.

Lasted a day and 3/4's. Back on the wagon. I feel like such a sellout but I think it was worth it.

dallasdb said:
Did you mention any of the points I made about the contract being invalid???

No but I was sort of keeping it as my "ace in the hole" just in case she decided to really challenge the terrible excuses I was coming up with.

I probably would have lasted longer but the beer guy at work got me a pretty sick tap handle and of course I had to try it out...for research.

Back