Continuous sparge...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im wondering why this hasn't been used yet. My thought is that while your mashing there is a sparge that uses an RMS application. Is the reason because of consistent mash temperature? And if so, in a perfect world that could be taken care of would there be another issue?

Thanks in advance yall!

Huh?

What does root mean square have to do with sparge?

Fly sparge is a continuous type sparge.

RIMS/HERMS is a recirculating mash system, sorta like a continuous sparge, just not running off.

In retrospect I guess I didnt explain well enough. And this is a really "stupid" question in a sense, because if it could have been done someone probably would have by now. But Im thinking of a fly sparge that literally takes the place of typical "mashing". In a mash the grain is submerged, it gets compacted a little bit with the suction of herms/rims I guess. But Im thinking of a fly sparge where there is just an inch or so of water over the grain bed the entire time it completely replaces the mashing process.

In retrospect I guess I didnt explain well enough. And this is a really "stupid" question in a sense, because if it could have been done someone probably would have by now. But Im thinking of a fly sparge that literally takes the place of typical "mashing". In a mash the grain is submerged, it gets compacted a little bit with the suction of herms/rims I guess. But Im thinking of a fly sparge where there is just an inch or so of water over the grain bed the entire time it completely replaces the mashing process.

That's called a "HERMS" system, where the mashing takes place but the wort is continuously recirculated.

But it doesn't "replace the mashing process"- it IS the mashing process. As long as the mash pH is in the range of 5.2-5.6, conversion will happen whether you're mashing at 1 quart of water per pound of grain or 3 quarts of water per pound of grain. It's the mash pH and the temperature that is the crucial part- not the recirculation or the amount of water in the mash.

Gotcha. That makes more sense. Definitely still learning a lot of the basics, but Im really interested in knowing the real whys behind whats happening.

This is precisely how I run my rims. Continual recirculation with an inch plus of liquid above grainbed. Mash done and flip valves to sparge until total volume to kettle obtained. Always keeping an inch till calculated volume of sparge is finished.

Brilliant, that makes complete sense now. I have never seen a rims/herms operate in person so I thought it was similar to a typical mash, but just recirculating. Appreciate the info guys.

Back